Of course there is a need for some reform; a need to reduce the bureaucracy but it is easier to score a goal if playing on the field than if watching from the stands.
The EU has delivered huge benefits for the UK as a country and for all of us as individuals.
· 3.5 MILLION BRITISH JOBS DEPEND ON TRADE WITH THE EU
· Over half of all our trade is with the EU
· 700,000 companies trade with EU countries
· Easy access to a market of over 500 million people
· Structural funding to regenerate many of our cities
· Clean beaches
· Clean rivers
· Cleaner air
· Lead free petrol
· Restrictions on landfill dumping
· Greener and cleaner vehicles
· More waste recycling
· Agreed targets to cut CO2 emissions
· A powerful voice in global climate change debate
· Cheaper mobile phones
· Cheaper air travel
· Improved consumer protection
· Better food labelling
· Ban on growth hormones and other harmful additives in food production
· Ban on discarding edible fish
· 2 year ban on pesticides killing bees
· Improved animal welfare in food production
· Strongest wildlife protection in the world
· European arrest warrant
· Cross border policing- combats human trafficking and drug smuggling
· Counter terrorism intelligence
· Support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond
· Peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed
· Longer maternity leave and paternity leave
· The right not to work more than a 48 hour week without overtime
· Tougher rules to protect workers from dangerous machinery or chemicals
· Smoke- free workplaces
· Equal pay legislation
· Holiday entitlement
Cllr. Paul Bidwell (Our EU Champion) writes:
As we start the beginning of a New Year the decision of when to call the referendum has still not been made. However, it is still very likely to be this year and we need in Bracknell to start preparing for a campaign in support of staying within the European Union that is being led by our Labour MEP, Anneliese Dodds.
I have already received some “postcard” fliers for our CLP ready for delivery into key community meeting places, your help as members would be much appreciated. In addition, over the coming months I will be meeting with other Champions across the SE to align approach and crystallising the message that we need to take to the door step.
As the campaign gathers speed I will be looking for help in spreading the word, so watch this space for information about upcoming meetings. In the meantime I would like to highlight an example of the importance or reliance of being in the European Union for jobs within the Berkshire area.
Both Slough and Reading host a number of international offices, including Blackberry, Computer Associates, Compusys, Hibu (formerly Yell) and the BG Group. In addition to these examples, Heathrow Airport employs many people living in and around Bracknell. The Airport is the busiest in Europe serving 73 million people in 2013. If the UK left the EU it may be difficult for UK airlines to retain rights they currently enjoy under EU agreements.
I will provide further updates and insights on why we should stay in the EU, but if you want to any further information please don’t hesitate to drop me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Look out for additional information in the next Newsletter, the CLP web-site and on Twitter.
RT @PeterStefanovi2 Home Secretary Sajid Javid just proudly announced the “biggest increase in Police officer numbers in 10 years.” 1,200! Can someone in the Home Office let him know his Government has actually cut Police Officer numbers by more then 21,000 since 2010! pic.twitter.com/65Co…
RT @TVP_Bracknell **CRIME PREVENTION ROADSHOW**
PCSO Marie Graham is hosting two Crime Prevention sessions on Tuesday 22nd January.
CROWTHORNE LIBRARY 9am
SANDHURST LIBRARY 11am
More dates/times lined up as well pic.twitter.com/76Vx…